Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ego


Ego, what a heavy three letter word! In terms of sustaining self and self-awareness, this word is as dirty as the "F" word is to your grandparents! This one little word ranks FOUR different interpretations in the dictionary; yes, four different ones. The dirtier the word in regards to achieving enlightenment the more meanings it can or does have I would imagine. As for this little word, it means the following; A person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance; The part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity; An overly high opinion of oneself; and (in metaphysics) A conscious thinking subject.

So, on the journey to complete self-awareness and enlightenment you encounter humiliation; and the root of humiliation is pride; and buried in pride you have ego? In one possible way of thinking; in order to rid yourself of humiliation you have to swallow your pride therefore making your ego nonexistent. However, if you take one of the meanings of ego, which is a sense of self-esteem, what happens then if your ego becomes nonexistent? Isn't self-esteem a critical part of normal functioning?

At first glance, I felt that I did not hold the ego card; but upon further examination I have discovered this card to be present. My ego is centered around my feelings of esteem and importance, not so much the "self" part; until we get to humiliation that is. My sense of ego (esteem and importance) stem from my interactions with the people I have relationships with; family, friends, co-workers and such. My ego likes to project a picture of demur innocence that is not quite the right picture; it is distorted. I am neither of those, but I am always seen as them; therefore it must be in the presentation put in place by my ego or pride. Therefore it is my conclusion that I feel the need to be accepted and in circumstances where I am not; it hurts my ego (esteem and importance). 

So as I see it, in order to be rid of humiliation I must present the "true" me without the presentation of ego. My sense of esteem and importance cannot be based on interactions with the people in my life; my ego has to let go of the reins. How I am to achieve this; really I have no idea but rest assured this topic also bears further scrutiny in the coming months, all six of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment