Saturday, February 2, 2013

Perseverance


Perseverance; what a long word; one I can't even spell without spell check, which I rarely use because of my slang anyhow. The meaning of this word is quite literal; continuing in a course of action without regard to discouragement, opposition or previous failure or it can also be explained as a persistent determination to adhere to a plan of direction; insistence. I believe there is a quote in a movie such as "Hitch"; and it is used in reference to relationships in this particular film.

However; if applied to a life that I know well; it would also mean stubborn refusal to acknowledge the inevitable. Inevitably with any life, there will be times when you are faced with situations that require changes; in circumstance or frame of mind. One of the hardest things for a persistent optimist to adapt to is change that is inevitable; because we will deny it until the very last moment and then start denying it again. Eventually however, we would have to face the inevitable and come to terms with it in order to survive the change. As an optimist I love new adventures; however I do not like change. Sometimes change is endured for the benefit of others; sometimes because it can no longer be denied. 

However; there comes a time when even the optimist has to accept the fact that changes must be made. I am at that point; that rising action right before the change has to happen, and wow! This is strange! I no longer feel afraid of change; I am open to it now whereas I was not previously. I can understand the need, the logic and the reason for change. I am beginning to feel like change is a wonderful new pair of fantastic pink shoes that I would love to wear constantly even if I get blisters sometimes. The complete fear and dread is gone; replaced with light and understanding. Dare I say even a sprinkling of hope! Yes! You read me right; Hope, what a Glorious thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment